ABraytCSPfuture project activities are structured in the following Work Packages (WP):
Activities and specific objectives:
WP2 – REDOX OXIDES POWDERS SYNTHESIS
- To develop the computational tools that will support the material synthesis research in a rational approach.
- To synthesize highly active, non-toxic, non-critical and recyclable redox powder materials with long-term, constant and reproducible cyclic redox operation and significant thermal effects under air flow.
- To identify optimum operating conditions for both thermal reduction and oxidation steps.
- To understand the reactions mechanisms by utilization of advanced characterization techniques.
- To obtain accurate experimental data of powder materials properties in the entire operation temperature range.
- To identify phenomena in the microstructure level that can adversely affect the materials efficient performance.
WP3 – REDOX OXIDES STRUCTURES PREPARATION & EVALUATION
- To manufacture model ceramic pieces of the selected redox material compositions.
- To experimentally measure properties of structured materials in the real operation temperature range foreseen.
- To identify failure mechanisms and undertake the requisite corrective design/material actions.
- To determine chemical reaction kinetics inside porous structures necessary for the design of real-scale reactors.
- To identify the redox oxide formulations to be eventually used in the proof-of-concept-scale dual bed unit.
WP4 – DUAL-BED DESIGN AND INTEGRATION IN CSP
- To develop the computational tools and simulations that will support the dual-bed system engineering.
- To account for thermomechanical stress analysis under operation conditions in the reactor design.
- To design and develop hybrid sensible-TCS systems with enhanced heat transfer and recovery functionalities.
- To provide the final design and operation simulation of the proof-of-concept prototype system to be tested.
- To elaborate proper integration scenarios of the concept in a next generation, high-efficiency solar power plant.
WP5 – CONSTRUCTION OF DUAL BED LAB-SCALE UNIT
- To construct a dual-bed monolithic reactor/heat exchanger made entirely or substantially of redox materials.
- To realize an entirely “modular” hybrid sensible-TCS/thermal booster unit with maximum system functionality
- To build a proof-of-concept-scale unit capable of withstanding pressures of 8-10 bar.
- To install the dual-bed unit on a hot-air supply/compressor test rig and couple it with all necessary peripherals.
WP6 – UNIT INSTALLATION ON A PLATFORM AND TEST OPERATION
- To extensively test the performance of the dual-bed integrated system.
- To demonstrate and maintain long-term, constant and high storage density, combined with structural durability.
- To assess the prototypes’ long-term performance and implement any corrective actions needed.
- To establish the lifetime expectancy of redox components via their potential long-term in-service degradation.
WP7 – TECHNOLOGY HOLISTIC ASSESSMENT
- To guideline materials selection and provide relevant materials solutions roadmaps via Life Cycle Analysis.
- To analyse the maximisation of materials recycle and efficient use of resources in a circular economy context.
- To draft a roadmap with the market commercialization perspectives of the technology and application areas.
- To identify affected groups of interest and provide insight into public/stakeholder attitudes and expectations.
- To address the socioeconomic effects of future technology scale-up and elaborate a suitable policy framework.
NOTE: Non-technical work packages are WP1 and WP8 that deal with the project coordination & management and with dissemination and communication activities, respectively.